I’ve been thinking about actions I could take to make this crazy van thing easier for me. Are there some tweaks that might give me a better path forward? I think so. To hold myself accountable, I’m listing them here for you.
Here are my New Year’s Vanlife Resolutions:
- Do more boondocking and less tethered camping. I love the community of RV campsites, electric hookups, WiFi, and Chinese delivery in the “forest.” Still, I want to improve my power/no-power camping ratio. I mean, it’s not like I’m completely and totally afraid of the boonies. Right?
- I must find a comfortable camera strap that won’t wreck my neck, back, and entire day. This has become a bigger hassle than expected and now I understand why people drop a hundred bucks on a strip of cloth. I’ll keep searching and let you know what I come up with.
- Keep a container of snacks in the front of the vehicle and do a better job of keeping my water topped off. I’ve messed up with the water thing twice already. I don’t know what my problem is.
- I used to have a fairly intense IKEA addiction. My goal this year to it pare down a bunch of stuff (currently resting on the aforementioned Scandinavian furniture) and use those Nordic bookcases and storage units to better organize the garage area of my van.
- Be kinder to myself and the mistakes I make with the van. Like, it’s my van. I can screw it up if I want to.
- Finally, I need to be more open to adventure and opportunity. I’ve missed a few chances (that I’m too embarrassed to share) and need to promise myself that I’ll take those leaps when they next show up.
I’m wishing all of you a wonderful and fun year. Let’s pledge to each other that 2019 is the year we GO FOR IT!