When you’re new to this, a lot of info will be flung your way. Take a deep breath. Here are seven QUICK reminders to hold on to.
- It’s okay to be scared. Don’t be weirded out that you’re weirded out. You will jump at every noise outside your window. That’s okay. That feeling will lessen with time.
- Vanlife is a choice for some, not for all. Don’t randomly rush up to folks and assume people want to hang out and chat.
- Blackout curtains aren’t magic. Don’t be obvious.
- On that note, unpainted Reflectix inserts are super obvious. Paint them matte black or staple black sheet fabric around them.
- Cops don’t want to mess with you. They don’t need the paperwork. Don’t force them to mess with you and stay under the radar.
- Instagram isn’t real life. What you see on Instagram is the best of all possible options via the most wonderful of filters. Also, every van is a pigsty at the end of the day. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
- Document the journey. Whether you do this for fun, for necessity or just for the weekends, take pictures of these memories you’re making.
Speaking of memories, all photos in this post were from the starting line of Suffolk’s Peanut Fest 5k Run earlier this month 🙂